The Santa Fe County 4-H program provides a creative a supportive environment in which culturally diverse youth and adults can reach their full potential. Our local county program works to develop life skills to help young people become self-directed, productive citizens. We also work to empower adult volunteers who multiply the efforts of our local county Extension staff.
Across the country 4-H'ers are making a difference in their communities because that is what 4-H is all about. In 1912 demonstration trains sent out throughout the state to promote interests in Boys' and Girls' club Work. The train featured specialists who demonstrated new developments from New Mexico A & M (now New Mexico State University) that would improve animal and plant production as well as home economics skills throughout rural New Mexico. The train stopped at various sites, people came on board and talks were given. If there was sufficient interest shown, club work was initiated under the direction of the county school superintendent. Two years later, county agents were appointed due to funding from the Smith-Lever Act, and 4-H work became an integral and very visible part of the county Cooperative Extension program.
Local 4-H Programs
Santa Fe County has 13 4-H clubs with over 250 registered members. Each club meets at a different time and location to accommodate the needs of their members.
- Clover Kids - Leaders: Barbara Thornton and Stacy Thornton - Meets: 2nd Sunday of each month
- 4-Seasons - Leader: Deanna Runer - Meets: 2nd Friday of each month at the County Fair grounds
- Capital City Clovers - Leaders: Daniel and Bobbi Lopez - Meets: 1st Wednesday of each month at the County Fairgrounds
- Edgewood Chaparrals - Leader: Kelly Jones - Meets: 2nd Monday of each month at the Edgewood Community Center
- East Mountain Prairie Falcons - Leaders: Michelle Mays and Chelsea Truesdale - Meets: 1st Thursday of each month
- Los Amigos - Leaders: Becky Spindle and Lisa Boulware- Meets: 3rd Monday of each month at the Stanley Community Center
- New Generation 4-H Club - Leaders: Earnest and Mercedes Kavanaugh
- Northern Stars - Leader: Karen Paige - Meets: 3rd Sunday of each month at the Nambe Community Center
- Route 66 Sharp Shooters - Leader: Cassie Stuart - Meets: 1st Thursday of each month at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - Edgewood
- Santa Fe Roadrunners - Leaders: Amy Pell & Melanie Bienviaje - Meets: 2nd Saturday of each month at the Santa Fe County Fairgrounds
- Stanley Spurs - Leader: Kim Anaya - Meets: 2nd Wednesday of the month at the Stanley Community Center
- The 5-Star Club - Leader: Tammy Sanchez - Meets: 3rd Sunday of each month at the County Fair grounds
- Wide Horizons - Leader: Cheryl Stumpff - Meets: 1st Tuesday of each month
How Can I Join Santa Fe County 4-H?
Enrollment for RETURNING Families opens November 1, 2016
Enrollment for New Families opens November 15, 2016
If you are new to the Santa Fe County 4-H Program please contact the County Extension Office for more information about our program and how you can get enrolled!
4-H Calendar of Events
2017 Tentative 4-H Calendar
Santa Fe County 4-H Tentative Calendar of Events for 2017
Project Enrichment Days
Project Enrichment Days provide Santa Fe County 4-H Youth opportunities to learn and gain skills in a particular project area. Classes are taught by 4-H volunteers and local subject matter experts.
Project Days are offered the third Saturday of the month January-May. Pre-registration is required and class fees vary. Be sure to look at the specific flyers below for more details.
Enrichment Days are open to non 4-H'ers during our enrollment period, October 1- March 1.
2016 Contest Handbook
This handbook contains guidelines for all 4-H contests offered by the Northeast 4-H District.
4-H Recognition Program
Santa Fe County 4-H provides many opportunities for 4-H youth, volunteers and clubs to receive recognition for all of the hard work and effort put forth through our program. Click on the links below to learn more about the opportunities available to you!
Recognition Tip Sheet
This tip sheet describes the five types of recognition Santa Fe County 4-H offers.
This easy to use chart provides an overview of ALL of the recognition opportunities available through the Santa Fe County 4-H program.
4-H Portfolio & Award Applications
Santa Fe County 4-H will recognize our Clubs, leaders, 4-H'ers and volunteers at our annual Awards Program December 3, 2016, 3pm location TBA. Please be sure that you have completed the appropriate 4-H Portfolio (formerly 4-H Record Book), or nomination form if you are interested in being recognized!
Remember that Santa Fe County 4-H members are required to use the new 4-H Portfolio format. Below are all the general forms along with a couple of the more widely used project forms. Please refer to your project materials for project specific record forms.
Portfolios are due to the 4-H Office no later than Monday, October 17, 2016 at 5pm.
All nomination forms are due to the 4-H Office no later than November 15th.
4-H Portfolio Forms
Award Nomination Forms
Club Standards of Excellence Application
All Clubs in Santa Fe County are encouraged to apply for this award. Applications are due no later than October 30.
Club Gold, Silver & Bronze Seal Application
Clubs in Santa Fe County that wish to go above and beyond the Standards of Excellence may also apply for this award! Applications are due no later than October 30.
Santa Fe County Forms
Event Scholarship Guidelines
If you are interested in applying for a county event scholarship (SLR, YGA, State 4-H Confernece, etc.), click here for more details. Deadline for all applications is two weeks prior to the event registration deadline.
Club Fundraiser Request
Please complete this form and turn into the county 4-H office prior to your fundraising efforts.
For more information on Santa Fe County 4-H please contact:
Jacqueline Baca at: email@example.com. or
Christina Turner at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional 4-H Resources can be found at the following sites:
2016 SANTA FE COUNTY FAIR - 4-H
August 3 - 6, 2016
The County Fair is an annual event that offers youth and adults an opportunity to enter their crafts, food and animals and enjoy some down home good-hearted fun. The Fair is filled with animal shows, free live entertainment, good food and many educational opportunities.
Come join us for the best free family fun in the county!
2016 Santa Fe County Fair Calendar of Events
Pigs, Chile, Music and more . . .
4-H Fair Book
2016 4-H Santa Fe County Fair Book
Only current Santa Fe County 4-H'ers may enter classes described in this book.
2016 4-H Entry Forms
- Santa Fe County 2016 4-H Horse Show, July 31, 2016.
- Start time is 8:30am, office opens at 7:30 am.
- Entry Form Deadline is Wednesday, July 20th, 2016
- Click on the link for fill-able form.
Large Animal form due July 20, 2016. Follow link for fill-able form.
Poultry form due July 20, 2016. Follow link for fill-able form.
Rabbit form due July 20, 2016. Follow link for fill-able form.
2016 4-H Show Results
A big CONGRATULATIONS!! to All of 2016's Santa Fe County Fair participants.